Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Food for thought or thoughts on food...

Last night I was able to do a little blog hopping, something I haven't had time to do for quite awhile, and I happened upon a lovely blog (check it out here) with a lovely recipe that works pretty well with my whole p90x thing-a-maroo. It isn't a cooking blog it's actually a very cute decorating and craftyish blog that I think my sister Larisa would like (go check it out Larisa) but there amongst the cuteness was this happy p90x-ish recipe BONUS.

Because so many of my peeps are also doing p90x I decided to go ahead and share the recipe on this here blog-o-mine. They're called faux pancakes, but don't really think of them as pancakes because they're definitely not (a little eggy), but I made them this morning and I'd have to say that they were pretty good.


Mine don't look as pretty as they do on the other blog (without thinking I tried to cook them on the griddle. Don't do that people. Think crepes and cook them in a ROUND pan. Duh.) They can be eaten with syrup, but I opted for berries (yum).

And with that, I give you the recipe:

2 EGG WHITES + 1 WHOLE EGG
1/4 TEASPOON VANILLA
1 TEASPOON RAW SUGAR OR OTHER SWEETENER (I used cinnamon sugar)
FRESH FRUIT & NUTS
SMALL BIT OF PURE MAPLE SYRUP

Whisk together the egg whites, whole egg, vanilla, & sweetener in a bowl, pour mixture into a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. when batter is firm on one side, flip it over. Once fully cooked, place on plate, top with fruit and syrup.

Go ahead try it. I think you'll like it. Especially with a side of turkey bacon (only my bacon's not turkey it's bonafide pig fat it is. Shh, don't tell anyone).

And while we are on the subject of p90x...

Paula Deen has a good peanut butter cookie recipe that's low in carbs, but still has a lot of sugar. So today I thought to myself, "Hey self, why don't you try to find a way to make these cookies with less sugar." So I did just that. The original recipe is

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
mix all together, place in balls on cookie sheet (do the smash with fork little criss cross thing) and bake at 350 for 10-12 min.

Simple enough, but in place of the one cup sugar I put two scoops full of the vanilla whey protein powder into a measuring cup, which ended up being about 3/4 of a cup then added 1/4 cup of sugar to complete it.

And guess what, they're good and a great little protein snack too.

But don't do like I did and then try to see what they'd taste like with only protein powder and no sugar (I added dry fruit instead of sugar to see if that would make them sweet enough) because they are very much not yummy when made that way. No not yummy at all.

And so ends our p90x moment. I know I promised to post about the program, and I will, but not today because I'm tired and I'm supposed to be working on my manuscript. I've given myself a deadline to finish editing it (thank you Tara) and I really must stick to it. Yes, I really must.


6 comments:

MaryRC said...

you go girl, cant wait to see those muscles.

TheShumWAYS said...

So with the protein powder how many cookies do you get and what does it count for? snack, protein??

The Cranes said...

I am certain I never would have been brave enough to try something like that--I would have been certain that I would end up with a bunch of cookies good for nothing but to throw out! I'm so grateful for people like you who figure stuff out like that. I'm going to have to make these for my husband who is trying to cut back on carbs and sugar right now (and it sure wouldn't hurt me to do the same!)

4boyzmdmom said...

Ditto to what Amy said...all of it!!!

Jessica B Photography said...

Low carbs??? I'd never last... You can rock it though!!

Mary said you were thinking about coming out for Spring Break. Whatever you decide I will be there!!

Lene said...

The cookies look delish! I am the only one in my house that likes peanut butter cookies, so I would have them all to myself.