Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I cannot tell a lie...


"Ooo, you got a Sequoia." My neighbor said in a hoity toity voice.

"I didn't realize it was a "Sequoia" " I told her in the same hoity toity way. "Had I known it was a "Sequoia" I would have never gotten it."
(I really don't think it is a "Sequoia" do you)

I'm generally not a flashy person. I don't particularly like to draw attention to myself, especially with "hoity toity" things. So I can no longer go on with pretending that I got a Mercedes for my birthday. Can't do it. Even though it makes me sick that the cute little Mercedes (pictured in the previous post) just sits parked at our storage units year after year, never being driven or enjoyed by anyone. It's such a shame and if the owner wanted to give it to me I certainly wouldn't snub her. No I wouldn't. But as of late she hasn't done any such thing and I DID NOT get it for my birthday.
But I did get this...

Remember this bag containing the present that Marlee got me? Well I'm ready to reveal its contents.
A year or so ago, a lovely lady from my writers group announced that her daughter-in-law had received a book deal. Hooray (we writers love stories like that)! So when I recently found out that her debut novel had made it onto the NY Times best seller list and had been picked up by Disney for the movie rights, I was so excited for her and couldn't wait to read it. Knowing this, Marlee bought it for me for my birthday (love that girl).

It's called "Wings" and it's a fantasy about a young teen who learns that she is a faerie. It is a great story (suitable for teens to read) and I believe it is part of a four book series. Fun. It even has the whole "Edward" vs "Jacob" love triangle going which has led to some fun debates with Miss Marlee. It's not that I don't agree with her, I like the boy she likes too, it's just that I think a relationship with the other guy makes more sense and I'm all about finding the best mate for the long haul.
Now that the kids are in school it's the perfect time to get to reading so check it out today. I think you'll love it.
As for me, it's time that I get to writing. A book deal would be FABULOUS! So much better than a Mercedes.

5 comments:

Bren's Life said...

Oh my Goodness! For one I missed your birthday. I am such a loser friend. This is really the first I have been on blogland in at least a week. So I AM SO SORRY! Hope you had a great birthday.
Happy Late Birthday to you!!!

Jessica B Photography said...

I didn't know Sequoias were hoity toity ether! I thought it was the Escalades and the Navigators. Well, "sequoia" is one of the few English words that uses all five vowels. (How's that for random knowledge. Use it next time you play Scrabble). Congratulations Marlee on good present-buying-skills!

Lene said...

Sounds like a great book. As soon as I get through the stack I have waiting for me I will have to check it out.

Can't wait for you to get your book deal.

Claudya Martinez said...

A book deal would be fantastic! Get to writing. I'll send you positive thoughts. Remember that the universe is abundant and one person's success is an encouragement.

4boyzmdmom said...

I've heard of that book--I'll have to check it out after I read the other 3 books that I need to read first!