Monday, July 21, 2008

Scripture power...

In my quest to learn how to embrace my new life and to be happy with where I am (which, let me tell you hasn't been easy) I have read many 'self help' books to try to find that missing piece to my emotional wellness puzzle. While I've had several 'Ah- ha' or 'light bulb' moments through my reading the effects never last. Once the light bulb dims I find myself feeling just as flat, sad and lost as before. So what's the answer? It's something I have known all along, a tool that I have used and cherished enough in my life to be able to stand as a witness of its life changing power. And yet, even knowing all of this, I've been resisting it. What is it you ask? It's....

SCRIPTURE POWER!
I love the scriptures. We are commanded to “feast upon the words of Christ”, to “experiment” on the word, to “hold fast unto” the word, and to “live by … every word of God". I love this counsel and I know that I am happiest when I'm doing these things.
Yesterday I earnestly prayed to know what I needed to do to be happy and as I studied throughout the day I came across an article in the July issue of the Ensign called,
Change and the Virtue of the Word
By Elder Keith R. Edwards Of the Seventy
In this article Elder Edwards speaks of the power that the word of God has in helping to change lives.
The entire article was wonderful, but it was a quote by President Boyd K. Packer, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, that really jumped out at me. He said:
“True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior.”
*****
After reading this I remembered an article I had read in the June Ensign where a woman shared with a friend her testimony of the power of the scriptures.
She asked him, "Do you remember all of the self-help books I had on my bookshelf at home." He did. So she told him, "Since I joined the Church, I have never read another self-help book. The only book I get my answers from anymore is the Book of Mormon."
*****
I too have a testimony that the Book of Mormon, the Holy Bible, and the other books of scripture have every answer that we will ever need to enjoy happiness in this life. I have witnessed its power time and time again in my life. I know that the scriptures contain the word of God and that if we feast upon His word we can be filled with immeasurable peace, the peace of Christ, no matter what our circumstances in life may be. I am making it my goal to study the scriptures everyday and I can testify to you right now that in doing this a mighty change will take place in my heart and in my life. I know this because I have tested it, I have lived it and it is true.
I invite anyone else who is struggling in any way in their life to do the same. “Feast upon the words of Christ”, “experiment” on the word, “hold fast unto” the word, and “live by … every word of God”.
I'm starting today, care to join me?


2 comments:

Bren's Life said...

Thanks for words of wisdom. I am so bad at reading scriptures. Really - really bad at it. I need to find a love for it & learn from them. I know they would help me to be a better wife & mom..

MaryRC said...

I just got the book of mormon on cd. I played it one morning while my kids were getting ready for school and all they did was giggle every time the narrator said.."It came to pass." My motivation flew right out the window!