Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The fabulous summer sun....

I missed out on all of last months SPTs because June ended up being so, so busy with girls camp, the pioneer trek, a family vacation and a family reunion. Crazy. But things have calmed down (for now) so I'm excited to get started with July's challenges. This month we are focusing on five elements of summer....

July 1~ sun
July 8~ water
July 15~ shade
July 22~ grass
July 29~ ice cream
**************************************
*SUN*
My favorite thing about the summer sun is that it comes up so early. I love waking with the sun. Especially here in my new town where we still enjoy cool mornings and evenings. I love the way the earth looks and sounds in the early morning. Everything seems brighter and fresher when it's bathed in morning dew.

This morning I stepped out onto my back porch to check on the progress of our newly planted backyard. The bright sun behind me helped to cast this shadow of me across the ground and I thought, Perfect! For those of you who are not familiar with the rules of the SPT challenge, we are encouraged to include a picture of at least some part of ourselves in every post. If you read my previous SPT posts you may of thought, "My does this lady like to take pictures of herself." But the truth be told I hate to take pictures of myself, but I do it as part of the challenge. So to be able to get away with a shadow shot today was fabulous. Especially because, though the earth may be most beautiful at the crack of dawn, I most certainly am not.
But onto another reason why I love the sun. I love the sun because it helps things....




GROW!
I was so excited to look out and find little baby grass growing in our yard this morning (my toes count as part of the self portrait too). This is our first time planting a lawn. In the past we have always put down sod and presto~ instant yard, but with the economic state being what it is these days (I'm sure many of you can relate) we decided to save money and plant seed instead. It's going to take patience, we might not even get to enjoy it this summer, but there's something very gratifying and even a bit exciting about watching it come in. Especially for me~ the girl with no green thumbs.


10 comments:

Bren's Life said...

You Rock! I can't say that I am up with the sun. Not by a long shot... What a great idea too for a picture. I wish I would of thought of it...

Rachael said...

I rarely get myself in the picture. I figure if one of my kids is in the picture than that is part of me. Cheating...I know. I will try next week!

Sarah said...

I love the shadow picture. I envy your cool mornings and evenings.

Unknown said...

welcome back to spt! i love your baby grass (and purple toesies!!)

Lene said...

Toes count! Great SPT.

Rhonda said...

I am such a 5th generation Arizona girl who never left at heart. Alas, my sunshine comes in spurts out here in Connecticut.

Love the shadow picture.

Anonymous said...

What a great shot of your shadow. Love the toes too!

Melanie said...

I love the early morning sun as well. I delivered newspapers for 9 years, and summer months I love it! watching the sun rise, and then enjoying it's warming rays as the world awakes.

The Monkeys said...

That is very exciting! Grow little baby grass, Grow!

Rachael said...

Where in AZ in the mountains are you? rsrandalls@yahoo.com