Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I scream, you scream....

July 29 ~ ICE CREAM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was a morning of firsts. It was the first time that I went to visit teach a new lady that I've been assigned to and the first time that I have ever gone visiting teaching in a convenience store. Visiting teaching is a program in our church where a woman is assigned a companion and the two of them are given the names of ladies to befriend and get to know better through monthly visits. It's a wonderful program because it gives women a network of people that they can count on. We are much more likely to accept help in times of need from people that we have already built a relationship with. And it's so inspired. A new visiting teacher, a spiritual rock that I learn from each month, was assigned to me at a time when I was languishing and really needed that strength and help. And it's so fun to make new friends. Today not only did I get to visit with and get to know this new woman I was assigned to, but I also got to know my new companion and I instantly fell in love with them both. The woman that we visited works managing this convenience store everyday and she was kind enough to set some time aside to talk with us.
As we visited I glanced over at the adjoining business and thought of today's SPT because the convenience store shares space with....

Yummy Dairy Queen! But sadly, it wasn't opened yet so I had to go home empty handed. Shortly after that I had to take my sister to work and with DQ still closed, the kids and I hit the drive-through at those lovely Golden Arches (good for ice cream but not much else) for some vanilla cones and french fries.


Hooray for Ice Cream!!!



Because I prefer ice cream with ooey, gooey, chunky, crunchy stuff in it, I normally don't get a cone for myself. Besides who needs a cone of their own when they get to be the drip lick monitor. Lucky me...


13 comments:

Rachael said...

I love McDonald's ice cream too! I agree there isn't much else there that are worth the calories!

Courtney said...

Um, yeah...Mickey Ds has some good vanilla soft serve man!

So glad you had a good VT day! It seems that whenever I get comfortable with my companion/sisters they change it up...there is a reason for that!

Anonymous said...

I shouldn't be reading all these icecream posts at 5 pm. I'm far to hurgry to resist!

GOod job on the lick monitoring.

Kim Sue said...

the "drip lick monitor" now that's a job I can handle...well except when my child chooses something like cotton candy bubble gum?

Chris said...

I like Mickey D's sundae with fudge and nuts. :-) My kids eat their chocolate frosty from Wendys with their french fries. They must go together well.

Lene said...

The "drip lick monitor" -- that's funny.

Sarah said...

Very cute picture of all of your kids with their cones. I bet it made their day.

me said...

Sounds like you had a fun day. I like your title "drop lick monitor." Cute!

Rebekah said...

"We are much more likely to accept help in times of need from people that we have already built a relationship with."


that's a really good insight. i've never thought about visiting teaching that way before.

MaryRC said...

Great post with so much truth, already noted, and so clever. Always love your take!
I would have to say you were my first visiting teacher Jeanett, an you were pretty good at it, and you didnt even know it!! You are a wonderful example and I love you!

xoxo Mary RC

Unknown said...

fortunately, monitoring drips doesn't add any calories ;)

Dacia said...

Isn't that a plus for being the parent! Licking all the drips!

The Cranes said...

I always get that drip lick monitor job, too.