Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Comfort Food...

Tuesday December 16~ COMFORT
........................................................
Last night I walked into Basha's to buy some milk and was surprised by the hoards of people there. I was surprised again upon finding that the milk had been nearly cleaned out.
"Why are all of these people buying food?" A young boy asked his mother the same question that filled my mind.
"Because there is going to be a blizzard." His mom replied, "And that's what people do when there's going to be a blizzard, they buy food."
It was a bit eerie watching the food fly off of the shelves and I didn't very much enjoy standing in a long line for the few items I needed either. But I felt comfort knowing that I had a surplus of food at home if we should ever need it.
.
With our troubled economy I have often thought of what I can and can't control in my life. I honestly don't know where we will be a year or two from now. I hope things don't get really bad, but I feel such comfort knowing that whatever happens my children will not go to bed with empty bellies because I have followed the counsel of a living prophet and have stored up a supply of food for the rainy (or blizzardy) days that may come in life.
Our food supply is still a work in progress. Right now I'm working on getting a three month supply of the foods we eat most and I'm also working on getting toiletries, cleaning supplies and such, but I'm comforted to know that even as it stands right now we are in pretty good shape and won't starve.
.
But my greatest comfort of all comes from knowing that God lives and that he still leads and guides us through a prophet just as he did in times of old. I have a testimony of a living prophet and I know that if I follow his counsel I can find comfort in any storm.
This pantry had us at hello!
This is just a small corner of it. It's ginormous and was one of the greatest selling points in our decision to purchase this house.
.
And P.S. We didn't have a blizzard (yet).

9 comments:

4boyzmdmom said...

We always get a kick out of the fact that whenever snow is predicted, the stores suddenly become jam-packed with people, stocking up on milk, bread, and toilet paper! We don't have a great food storage, but I know we'd make it at least a few months with what we have, and it is a comfort! I am jealous of your pantry, though--one of the reasons we don't have a lot of food storage is that we don't have the space! That pantry definitely would have sold me!

Bren's Life said...

Holy moly! That is a huge pantry.. I need to start working on my year supply again. I haven't gotten much in awhile nor know really what I have hidden behind furniture & in closets..
Your awesome!

Unknown said...

WOW i don't think i've ever seen your Pantry but its HUGE!! awesome supply of food too

Rachel said...

I am jealous of your huge pantry...I am sure you saw the one we built from a hall closet...I posted a long time ago on my blog...I still need more room! I must say it is a comfort being prepared with food...Glad the blizzard didnt hit you guys!

Cecilia said...

Wow that's an AMAZING pantry! Thanks for inspiring me!

Lene said...

Great post on 'comfort' food. Amen Sistah.

And can I just say I am really jealous of your pantry. I would love to just come visit it and dream.

Erika said...

That Pantry looks like the one the Duggars have...you know those people with like 19 kids. It's amazing. Hope you have water storage too!

The Monkeys said...

wow- That is an amazing pantry. When they say pantry out here in the east they mean a top to floor row of shelves that is usually pretty thin on one side of your fridge. No room for food storage except under the beds!

Dacia said...

LOVE THE PANTRY!!! What an awesome food storage.